1) no sooner had he···than···=had hardly···when 刚······就
2) had hardly had time to···when··· 还来不及······就
3) He acted as if he had···他的动态似乎他······人人听英语
4) had lived···before he returned to··· 在回到······之前就曾经住在······
1)No sooner had he gone to sleep than the telephone rang once more. (他刚睡着，电话铃又响了。)
2)He had no sooner reached the door than he came back.(他刚走到门口就走回来了。)
3) He had hardly had time to realize what was happening when she pushed him out of the room.(他还来不及弄清发生了什么事，突然她把他推出房间去。)
4) He acted as if he had done something great.(他一举一动好象他做了一件什么了不起的事似的。)
5) I had written him three letters before he wrote back.(在他回我信之前我曾写给他三封信。)
6) They had lived in many countries before they settled in England.(在他们定居英国之前，他们曾在许多国家主过。)
7) I had hardly opened the door when he hit me on the head.(我刚开门他就一拳打在我的头上。)
8) We had hardly arrive when it began to snow.(我们刚到就开始下雪了。)
9) Hardly had we arrived when we had to go back.(我们刚到就不得不返回。)
2.no sooner···than, 这个 than 很多人好象都喜欢写 then , 似乎认为 then 比 than “说得通”。可是这毕竟是固定的搭配，不能一自己的想象来代替。
3. continually 与 continuously，前者是有间隙停顿的“不断”，后者则是有连续性的“不断”。例：
1)The baby is continually crying.婴儿不断地哭。
2)The river flows continuously.河水不断地流。
return to 回到
plan to 打算，计划
settle down 定居下来
almost immediately 几乎马上
complain about 埋怨，抱怨
even though 即使
be bitterly cold 冷得要命
get a shock 感到震惊
in the end 最后
be more than one can bear 使某人受不了，吃不消
have dream 做梦
think of 考虑到
=======《 Everything Except the Weather 》========
My old friend, Harrison, had lived in the Mediterranean for many years before he returned to England. He had often dreamed of retiring in England and had planned to settle down in the country.
He had no sooner returned than he bought a fine house and went to live there, Almost immediately he began to complain about the weather, for even though it was still summer, it rained continually and it was often bitterly cold. After so many years of sunshine, Harrison got a shock. He acted as if he had never lived in England before.
In the end,it was more than he could bear. He had hardly had time to settle down when he sold the house and left the country. The dream he had had for so many years ended there. Harrison had thought of everything except the weather.
- [每日英语] Farewell Song 骊歌
- [每日英语] 每日英语谚语 Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
- [每日英语] 每日英语语法 可修饰比较级的词
- [每日英语] 每日英语口语 He is at his best when he speaks off the cuff.
- [每日英语] 每日英语口语 You can count on me
- [每日英语] 每日英语语法 延续动词与瞬间动词
- [每日英语] 每日英语漫画 部分与整体
- [每日英语] 每日英语语法 将来进行时
- [每日英语] 每日英语一诗 Thinking of You
- [每日英语] Far from eye, far from heart.